Friday, February 11, 2011

Digital Art

Digital arts is a part of art. I really enjoy the lecture which John Park given to us. He is a nice guy with humor, and the art materials which he showed in class in high level. Because with the development of our society, more and more art work is associated with digital technology. Although the digital media made the art work more artistic and visual impact, like john said, there still more and more questions about that is technology means losing humanity?  No~~~Like john’s comments, contemporary media practice involves a rigorous investigation of, and engagement with continually evolving technologies, the digital arts program encourages people to combine an understanding of the theoretical discourses of new media and visual arts with strong technical sophistication, a rich sense of visual design and an ability to articulately express themselves as artists. I agree with this explanation about digital art, they all are the processing of art, using digital technology as an essential part of the creative process. From my own view, I think that the most special significant of digital art is using the digital technology to transform the traditional art work to raise a new level. I am not saying that traditional art work is not good enough, but you can’t deny that, digital technology made these art works play a different effect and give them a new colorful life~~~~
In fact, when we don’t pay close attention to ‘digital media’, it has already appeared around us. Facebook~~~yeah! Like Tyrras said in the class, her friends in Facebook is around 500, but, actually maybe just 9 in the real life! I know it’s just a joking. But I think that the virtual world of the Internet always let us have an illusion that we are in the good fellowship with others than we thought. Thereby, maybe, you have a question that is digital media means hiding the truth? From the video we saw on class—Can you see me now, we can get the answer. This fantastic video is about the collision when real life versus virtual world. It’s an interesting video, at first time I didn’t figure it out, but when I saw it at second time, I understand the purpose of this activity. When virtual world meet real life, the reality in real world can not be ignored. Digital media is not hiding the truth and reality, to a certain extent, it’s facilitates real. (I knew ‘facilitate’ can’t express what I really mean here, but I can’t find more suitable words~~) It is worth mentioning that when I saw the Feng Mengbo’s photo, I was shocked by his special and creative ideas. He explained the politics in China in the fun way. I like his thought about art, which is using the elements of popular culture, such as vedio games, into the creation of new digital art. At the same time, this special skill help him to express his opinion about politics. I was inspired by his idea that using the digital and new media to show the different themes. I always think that art is a whole life thing, there will be a lot of art works, we should not limit the art in a regular field, constrain the themes of art and the media of art.
The other good creative idea is thought of by David Byrne. He took the devices which can’t make sounds by themselves, but when they were put together, they can cause vibrations of building elements, resonate, oscillating, making the building itself to become a very large musical instruments. After I viewed the whole site, I don’t know how to answer the question which Tyrras gave to us—who is the artist here? I only want to say that David Byrne and the participants, both of them are indispensable. Without David Byrne, this fantastic idea had not begun, not to mention the future artistic works. Without the participants, those all the devices and design are empty and abiosis. Because the participation of both, creative ideas combined with the different participants’ various inspirations, feelings, emotions and moods, these are all mixed together can wipe out the amazing spark. And I also think that this work in terms not pushing boundaries between the performance and the artist but to blend them together. Each participant’s performance appears to be independent, there is no connection between them, but the existence of these art work which all because of the organization from David Byrne. The various audience get the different feeling from the different participant’s creative works. To an artist, a lot of different and wonderful resonances mean the biggest praise.
The artist Paul Pfeiffer which Tyrras introduced to us is a visual artist, at least it seems to me like that.  I remembered Pfeiffer said that many of his works invite viewers to exercise their imagination or project their own fears and obsessions onto the art object. But when I saw his art work, it’s not easy for me to understand what thing he really wanted to show us without explanatory note. Like in the ‘Corner Piece’ it’s confused when I first see, but after I saw his explanation, I understood how he thought.  The contradiction between a kind of heroism and the empty of the loser, at the same time, that individual seems almost to get swallowed up by the spectacle itself. When those contrast emotion appearing on one screen, Preiffer used digital technology to deal with the picture, making the protagonist fuzzy and using the expression on the audience to illstrute what happening. Using the digital technology to present art works, there is no doubt that it’s a good form to interpret art!!

1 comment:

  1. A good post with some interesting observations, as always. Just remember to cover all of the materials (you forgot Janet Cardiff).

    ReplyDelete